I would like to know...
Do you like potato pancakes as much as I do?
Every year around this time,
I crave these!!!
I thought I'd share another recipe
that has taken me a few tries
to perfect these tasty cakes!
When I first made them ~
I followed Martha's recipe to a t!
~ and they were good...
at lunch time!!
being more like a Sandra Lee girl
I welcome a little help to cut my steps down!
and I would actually like to eat them for breakfast!
I take a little help from Ore-Ida
(that mandolin shredder is sharp, I tell ya!!)
Here is my altered recipe for potato pancakes!
Don't worry, these go together quickly!
* 1 bag of Ore-Ida Hashbrown shreds
(I like the flavor of the one with the red peppers)
* 1/2 cup chopped organic spring onions/scallions
(green part, unless you really like the white part,
in which case, go for it!)
* 2 large, organic eggs, slightly beaten
* 1/2 artisan beer
( I know what your thinking, but trust me, it makes a difference!!
I like the flavor the darker ales bring,
but again, use your "flavor-ite"!)
* 1/2 cup shredded good parmesan cheese
(or use your favorite)
* 3 Tablespoons all purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon sea salt
* fresh ground black pepper to taste
* olive oil for frying
* garnish: creme fraiche (or sour cream), chopped chives,
and diced prosciutto that you have already fried
* In a beautiful large bowl combine the shredded potatoes, spring onions and cheese shreds.
* Then fold in the slightly beaten eggs, beer, flour, salt and pepper.
* In a heavy skillet heat over medium high heat, about a 1/4 inch of olive oil.
When oil is hot but not smoking, spoon about a 1/2 cup of potato mixture in skillet per pancake.
Depending on the size of your skillet, you can make a few at a time, being careful they don't run into each other.
* Fry on both sides until golden brown (about 4 - 6 minutes total, but I like mine a little more crispy so I just watch them! Drain on paper towels. Keep warm in a low oven (150 degrees F.) while preparing others. Serve hot with a dollop of creme fraiche, chives and fried prosciutto.
I do hope you try these delicious potato pancakes!
and hope you Enjoy!