whisper your name


whisper your name on the things you find be~you~tiful . . .



Recent Posts

Aug 18, 2011

...French Market Basket Tutorial


...hello, hello!!

i have much to share with you today ~




would you like to see how i turned this ho-hum basket

 


into this
~ French Market Basket ~
???




one of my favorite movies is "A Good Year"
starring Russell Crowe
who wouldn't love a romantic, french winery setting??

I can imagine using this basket, in town, at the local farmers market
or
taking it along if i were to visit a few of the ancient monasteries
to collect a few of their impeccably made artisan products!!

i know,
i dream BIG!!
lol!!

you will need a few items to duplicate similar results

* a "french market basket" in the rough - purchased at Jo-Ann Fabrics
it is part of their craftologies line and actually comes with the wheels
you can either purchase the natural willow or the white willow.

i bought the natural willow

* 4 bottles of "folkart" outdoor opaque paint
 #1618 "burnt umber"
and  3 bottles of "folkart" outdoor opaque paint
# 1610 "wicker white"
i know this sounds like a lot of paint
but, it is a big basket!!

* a larger sized foam sponge brush (love these!)

* a regular paintbrush




this is the ratio of how i mixed my paint:
1 whole bottle of the "burnt umber"
to 1/2 bottle of the "wicker white"

it reminds me of chocolate mousse!
mmmm....chocolate mousse good!!
keep in mind that it will dry darker than you think




start painting on your chocolate mousse brown paint

try to get into all the grooves of the willow
i found it worked best for me if i painted my basket facing me sideways
as opposed to the basket standing straight up and down.
it was easier to get into those grooves




be patient, and work in sections.
the good thing is, this paint dries quickly :)

ta-da!!

notice, i did not paint the inside of my basket?
i ran out of paint!!!

i only bought 3 bottles of the burnt umber color :(
(hence, why i suggest 4 bottles) 

not to worry, i will remedy that ~
 someday!!




*step two:
paint the inside of your basket!!
(ha,ha)

*step three: white washing

you should have at least 1/2 a bottle left of the "white wicker."
~ pour what you have left into your paint bowl
now,
add warm water to the "empty" container of  your "wicker white" bottle
and
shake, Shake, SHAKE it baby!!!
then shake it some more!

add the shaken water to the paint bowl and stir it up with our sponge brush until incorporated
(yes, i know the bottle says don't mix with water,
but it's my project and i always color outside of the box!)




have a bowl of plain water and your dampened paintbrush waiting




begin with your "white wash" paint
using your sponge brush
swipe the paint onto your basket.
now take your wet paint brush and "paint in" the white wash.
you are just giving your basket a light wash of white,
not trying to cover it in white paint.




keep using the water brush to lighten the white over the brown until you are happy with the results.




something like this




WOW!!!
I LOVE IT!!!




now it's time for the liner!

remember the original liner this basket came with??




eewwwww!!!

yah NO!!

i was thinkin' of something more like this




yes!
much better!!

for my basket liner, i used a shabby chic shower curtain!
and used the lime green liner as the pattern
then i added a ruffle!

(you knew i had to have a ruffle in there somewhere ~ didn't you?!)




i designed this "Mission de Saint Rose"
for the front of my basket
and printed it onto silk
then decoupaged it to the front.





i wanted it to seem like it had been there for many years...




added a pocket to the inside...




i then envisioned what a rose may look like
  had i purchased it at one of the artisan's monasteries...
and came up with this




i hand stamped a few flower petals with french script,
then added some lace, tulle and a vintage fleur center.
i fashioned some rosebud leaves and put them all together...




lovely, no??


and were you wondering just what was up with the smaller basket??

well,
i wanted it for the back of my basket to put such things as keys
and perhaps a lovely bottle of water...




i just tied it through the willow
securing it on with ribbons.




i can't wait to use my new french market basket!!
as i'm sure you will feel the same way about yours!

  


i hope you have been inspired
and will be headed to JoAnn's soon

no, i was not compensated by JoAnn's for the use of their products!
your comments are compensation enough :)




the end.


sharing this with:
French Country Cottage's: Feathered Nest Friday
Freckled laundry's: Air your laundry Friday
Vintage Home's: Farmhouse Friday
My Romantic Home's: Show and Tell Friday




here's to lovely transformations!!



update:
specific info on the Jo-Ann's market basket

"natural willow wheel"  #841488061356  $39.99

Jo-Ann Fabrics Corporate Office Headquarters
5555 Darrow Road Hudson, OH 44236
(330)656-2600




55 comments:

  1. Your creations are so beautiful! Wonderful tutorial, the basket is lovely. Can't wait to see more beautiful posts.
    -Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. to market to market we go! oh my...it's so lovely rosemary! j'adore!!! i especially love how you added that sweet petite basket to it and the gorgeous flower with the holy medal and hand stamped feather. swoon.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosemary, that is sooooo beautiful! I love it. Functional and beautiful too:)Doesn't get better than that:)
    ~Debra xxx
    Capers of the vintage vixens

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your French Market basket. I looked on Jo Ann.com the on line store and could not find it. Would you please give me a little more information to find one of those baskets.
    Thank you so much for your tutorial.
    Judi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness it is so pretty. You did an amazing job. I love all the added touches with the saints and crosses. Makes it so much more special. And A Good Year is one of my favorite movies too! I watch it over and over. Even my teenage boy likes it. Well, he's a tennis player so he likes how that is incorporated into the movie. ox

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am truly amazed with the gorgeous things you make, this is an oustanding project transforming the basket so beautifully, I love it!
    Thank you so much for the delightful tutorial.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely lovely, you are oh so creative. Love every detail you included, especially the rose.

    ReplyDelete
  8. GORGEOUS! I walk past those baskets every time I'm in Joann's. Now I'm going to have to snatch one up. Thanks for the awesome tute!

    ~Aaron {the girl with the boy's name}
    MudPies & Marigolds

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my what can I say?That is soooo adorable.I had to laugh when I thought of me painting a basket lol.Im no painter but wow its cute.Thanks so much for sharing your lovely things with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a darling basket, I am not sure what part is my favorite. You get it! The details are so important.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I soooooooooo love you French Market Basket! WHAT a difference a little "OZMA LOVE" makes! It is stunning! I may have to try it. I have a metal flea market cart but, it so doesn't look like I wanted it to. Thanks for the ideas! Have a great weekend! HUGS! Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the beauty of "A Good Year" too. Your basket looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is beautiful, who would have thought something so plain could turn into something so beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This market basket is great, Rosemary! I especially love the smaller basket you added to the back. Thanks for the tutorial. This is one I will have to try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am in AWE once again my dear friend!! And to think several months ago they were practically giving those baskets away and I didn't like them so didn't get one. HA!! Here I thought that I *think outside the box*, but obviously not enough!! :)
    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did a wonderful job on your basket. I mean really really good! Love it and the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pretty Pretty Pretty - you just created pretty and French...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rosemary - you did it again! Beautiful job!!! What ever made you think of doing this? It's incredibly vintage French!!! Your tutorial was just wonderfully easy to follow, too. Thank you soooo much! I am definitely headed over to JoAnn's tomorrow and picking up BOTH of those baskets and some paint! (Does JoAnn's carry the paint, too?) Thanks, Ro!!!!!!!!!!!!

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooh,la, la! Your French Market basket is tres magnifique! Thanks for the awesome tutorial! The liner is so pretty, and I love the beautiful flower you created. At's all just perfection:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your basket is so pretty with beautiful details!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Rosemary,
    I have been eyeing those baskets... they were a little ewe:-) You have made an amazing tranformation, three cheers for coloring outside the lines!!! Beautiful job!
    Hugs,
    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW! So glad I saw this tutorial BEFORE I went to JoAnn's on Saturday! Seriously, had already planned on it. But would not have purchased the basket....but now?!? Well if they have any left....great tutorial1 Thanks for sharing!

    "Her" and Romeo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, I love it! What a wonderful job you did!
    Thank you for sharing!
    Leticia

    ReplyDelete
  24. It is very beautiful and who wouldn't want to go out shopping with such a lovely basket!
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a beautiful transformation, you did a great job!!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  26. oh, you did such a great job!!! its soooooo gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is over the top Rosemary. What a wonderful tutorial!!! Thank you so much for the great instructions on the painting of wicker. I LOVE the way this looks.
    And the liner...well it is so perfect!
    sending big hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really like your basket an design. The smaller basket could be fastened with plastic wire ties. they come in very small sizes to large sizes and varies colors from clear,white,green , and red. It would secure tighter and if heavy items were in the small basket it would hold them. I never knew how to white wash , thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lovely....yes!!!! What a wonderful transformation. I've wanted one of these baskets for a while now, but not the prices I have seen.

    Enjoy your weekend.

    xoxo
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh My, my, my...Rosemary. I just discovered your lovely blog. I could almost smell the beach as I listened to the waves. It brought back floods of memories of my childhood summers spending weeks waking up to the rush of the waves. Thank you for making my memories so vivid! This basket is amazing! And I thought I would have to hunt forever to find a vintage one and pay something I totally couldn't afford. Thanks for sharing just how to get the look and making it so do-able.

    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Hugs...Tracy, your newest follower and subscriber.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Very pretty! You did such a great job...a totally new look. Thank you for sharing this technique. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Rosemary my dear, you continuously amaze me at your creative giftedness. This is just wonderful, love your whitewash technique. i have several baskets I want to try this on. Thankyou for linking up to the party, xoxo Debra

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is a lovely transformation!
    I hope you are enjoying your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  34. OMG! This is beautiful! I am visiting from My Romantic Home and I am so glad I did. You have such a beautiful blog and you are very generous to share all your tutorials. I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a gorgeous basket Rosemary~ It's just beautiful! I love the color of it and the sweet lining! Thanks for sharing at my party :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great tutorial... thanks for sharing. And I see no need whatsoever to paint the inside!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh how I just love this basket. I go to a farmers market twice a week and this would be absolutely perfect! Unfortunately, I called about 30 JoAnn's throughout New England and not one store carries it :(

    ReplyDelete
  38. what a lovely project--now to find a basket:)

    ReplyDelete
  39. You make everything even more beautiful! What a lovely basket you've created! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  40. I can't wait to make my own market basket! You are such a lovely inspiration!! Your site makes me so happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. WOW, this is beautiful!! Makes me want to make one and take it w/me shopping at my local farmers market!!!

    Thanks for the great directions!!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Such a lovely transformation! I especially love the fabric you chose. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Your basket is gorgeous!! It truly looks like a romantic treasure from times past. I am so inspired!! Thank you for sharing. xxoo ~ Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  44. this is wonderful
    thank you for the how to

    blessings
    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete
  45. WOW! Is amazing!
    I like it and your blog. I follow you!!!
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  46. This is beautiful! Thank you for the tutorial and count me in as one of your newest followers!

    ReplyDelete
  47. truly a great makeover for the basket. I will have to try this, but don't have much hope as making one as lovely as yours. So glad I found your blog via another.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Hi Rosemary,

    I was thrilled to find this tutorial!! Your basket is beautiful. You did an amazing job on it! I loved it so much, I ran right out and got the basket so I could try it myself. I just finished it up today and have posted it on my blog with a link back to you. I was so happy with how it turned out and your tutorial was excellent.

    Thank you so much for all of your creative ideas and for sharing this one! Have a beautiful weekend.

    xo and God bless,
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  49. trotted my little self right on over to joann's today and bought one of these little lovelies. can't wait to do a little "work" on it......love yours.......what a great idea. i've wanted one of the french ones for so long! whooopee. thanks for sharing this great tip.

    blessings,
    spencer

    ReplyDelete
  50. That's AWESOME! I just found you from "musings of a french cottage". I love your basket, it looks like a million dollars now... wow! I can't wait to look around your cute blog some more!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  51. Whew........so happy that Google didn't fail me.. I knew I'd seen this.........RAN out and bought the basket and could NOT remember for the life of me where I'd seen the tute... Thrilled to have found it. Thanks again. :-)

    Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  52. I just found your blog and am in love with it!! I adore your basket sooo much!! I hope I can find one of those baskets because I really want to make one ~
    Thank you for the wonderful tutorial!!
    BTW I found you from Pinterest :)

    ReplyDelete
  53. Just ordered the basket!! I am so excited about this project!!! Thank you for the excellent tutorial and the breathtaking pictures. I found this post thru Heaven's Walk :)

    ReplyDelete

be kind ~ be graceful ~ be beautiful ~ be you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails