whisper your name


whisper your name on the things you find be~you~tiful . . .



Recent Posts

Jan 20, 2010

...one of my favorite things!



...is a plate of these!!!!
Years ago, when Jim and I were dating,
(many, many years ago!)
We would go to a place called Chi Chi's Restaurant
(a mexican food chain in Ohio),
and I would always order the seafood nachos.
Chi Chi's is now long gone,
 but ~
I was able to get that recipe for my own!!!
and I'd like to share the recipe with you.
Over the years I've tweaked it to my liking
(or embellished it more, if you've read my doll house post, you understand)
but here are both recipes,
 try them both and you decide!

The Original Chi Chi's Seafood Nachos
* 1 pound imitation crab meat
* 6 tablespoons butter
* 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1/8 teaspoon paprika, plus more to sprinkle on top
* 1 1/2cups half-and-half
* 2 tablespoons medium sherry
* 16 ounces shredded Monterey Jack or Colby Jack cheese
* tostitos crispy rounds tortilla chips

Melt butter in medium saucepan. Stir in flour, salt, nutmeg, and paprika with wire whisk; add half-and-half and sherry. Cook and stir until thickened. Refrigerate sauce. Meanwhile, empty crabmeat into a bowl and break up. Stir in cooled sauce, and put about a tablespoon of seafood mixture on each chip. Sprinkle with cheese, then paprika. Bake at 375 degrees for 8 - 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and slightly browned. Makes about 5 dozen nachos. Serve with sour cream.


Rose's Version of Chi Chi's Seafood Nachos
* 1 pound imitation crab meat
* 6 tablespoons butter
* 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1/8 teaspoon paprika, plus more to sprinkle on top
* 1/8 teaspoon red pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon sugar
* 1 1/4cups half-and-half
* 1/4 cup white dry wine
* 2 tablespoons medium sherry
* 16 ounces shredded Mexican cheese
(I like the one that has cheddar in it)
* tostitos crispy rounds tortilla chips
(I've used them all, use your favorite!)

Melt butter in medium saucepan. Stir in flour, nutmeg, paprika, red pepper, and sugar with wire whisk; add half-and-half, white wine and sherry. Cook and stir until thickened. Meanwhile, empty crabmeat into a bowl and break up ( I cut mine up with my kitchen shears). Stir in warm sauce, and put about a tablespoon of seafood mixture on each chip. Sprinkle with cheese, then paprika. Bake at 375 degrees for 8 - 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and slightly browned. Makes about 3 dozen nachos. I like mine with sour cream, green onion and parsley on top.
(and no ~ I didn't forget the salt, I thought it was too salty so I dropped it, I also use, no fat sour cream and reduced fat cheese to lighten this up a bit!)
I do hope you will try these and if you don't like seafood, just substitute it with chicken!
Bon Appetit!!!
xo

6 comments:

  1. YUM! I remember Chi Chi's!

    Okay so it's settled --when all we bloggers meet up somewhere, you are going to be in charge of the appetizers!!! Woo Hoo! :)

    Have a great day!!

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this my darling friend.
    I will print out this recipie right away!
    XOXO Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, yum, yum, yum, yum!!! Now I am seriously craving nachos (always been a fav of mine)!

    Happy Wednesday ~

    :) T

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog, and it's looks like a good one! We have a lot in common. I'll be checking back, but now I must go make some dinner because you made me hungry!
    Char

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have NO IDEA how hungry for Chi Chi's you just made me! We used to have one here in Minneapolis, and it was always such a treat to go and have their chips and salsa. Thanks for sharing the recipe, I am pretty sure I have seen their salsa in my grocery store, my family is getting these as a special treat this weekend! Yummy!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, it looks so delicious,Mmmmmmm!!! Tank you for sharing!!!
    Tank you to be one of my followers! So nice to meet you!:))) You have a very beautiful blog!!!!
    See you soon

    ReplyDelete

be kind ~ be graceful ~ be beautiful ~ be you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive