whisper your name


whisper your name on the things you find be~you~tiful . . .



Recent Posts

Dec 9, 2010

...fairy lights ~ a tutorial

hello my sweet's!!

I've been dancing around with the sugarplum fairies
sprinkling a little holiday magic here and there!

Today I will be sharing a tutorial on how to make these ~


I call them fairy lights!

Few supplies are needed to create these ethereal little light garlands!


~ and they truly are oh-so-lovely anywhere you plug them in at!

So grab your pen and pretty paper for your list of supplies
and let's get started:)
~
~ supplies ~


*a set ((or two!)) of these - 20 light strands
I like them because the wires are white and I can use this garland year round!!
  

*These are small bon-bon cups
((or mini candy cups, but I like the way bon-bon's sound better!!))
you don't need the whole bag of them...
unless you are making garlands for a party or wedding!!
I like to use these as they are more translucent than the
mini cupcake liners.
  

*pretty little flowers
you will need 1 per light so if your strand is a twenty lighter,
you will then need 20 flower heads!
I buy mine at the Dollar Tree,
and are just perfect for this project.
((yes, you can find pretty supplies there too!!))
they come 6 to a stem
and already have a soft vintage feel to them!!
You could even tea dye these if you wished.
But I like the creamy white color
so today that's what I will be using!

* you will also need your favorite glue gun and of course some glue sticks!

step 1:
take apart all the flowers you will need for your light strand
  

you won't need these sputnik centers,
but my kitty sure does like to bat them around!!
here kitty, kitty!!
Look what Sandy Clause brought you ~ LOL!! 
  

step 2:
cut through one side of the base of the flower bottom


like so


repeat for all flower bases.

step 3:
cut 3 small slits in the center of each petal


like this.
These you will be sliding over the lights.
repeat for all flower petals

step4:
take a hold of your light


slide the flower base bottom around the base of the light


place a dab of hot glue to secure in place


step 5:
put a dot of glue on the bottom already in place and slide one of your flower petals over the light
down to the flower base.


dot this petal with hot glue and slide down another petal.


step 6:
dot the petal with glue
only this time
push through one of the bon-bon wrappers down over the light


push it down until it meets the petals


step 7:
squeeze all petals ever so lightly while the glue is still warm
to shape your flower


I like to kinda twist the bon-bon wrapper around the light a little to resemble a stamen!


and viola!!
one fairy light done!
now repeat these steps again
until you have a whole glorious stand of

~ Fairy Lights!! ~ 


I hope you enjoyed this tutorial!

I am sharing this over at Debra's
where you will find more elves creative inspirations!!


here's to flower petals and a glue gun!

27 comments:

  1. Brilliant! They look absolutely fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so exquisite. Thank you for showing how you made them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, Rosemary. Thanks for the tutorial, now if I can find my little flowers from the Dollar Store I'll be set!
    xo~Tracie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a gorgeous idea Rosemary!!!! The garland is so beautiful and romantic! I have to try!!!
    Happy week end!
    Vale

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet and creative idea.They are useful in so many way to dress up a room.Thanks for taking the time to share.Have a bright day..Chickie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just gorgeous... thanks for sharing!!!
    Blessings~~ Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  7. These Are Gorgeous !!! Definitely going to have to work these into our designs ..

    Thanks for sharing ..

    Blessings ..Sara

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is one great idea ! My head is spinning right now with a million variations,thanks so much for being so inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rosemary, These are the sweetest little light garlands imaginable! LOVE them, and I really want to try them, Thanks so much for sharing all this beauty for VIF!!
    lots of love,
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I am SO going to try this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. so enchanting mon amie! J'adore! did you see my last blog post? did you spy your ex votos on my mantle candles??? J'adore them too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely LOVE this idea! And I would love being surrounded by fairy lights! Hugs to you! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. have I told you lately how much I adore you??? And this is just one of the many, many reasons why dear Rosemary! I have wanted to make one of these for so long. You made me think that I just may be able to pull it off. Beautiful pictures! Beautiful life!
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous lights Rosemary!! I love them and can't wait to try it!! Thanks so much for sharing the tutorial!
    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a crazy, mixed up post (foggy flu head) but I posted about your ex voto tags, Rosemary. Have a great weekend.
    xo~Tracie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Rosemary,

    Just beautiful. I am going to have to make another strand now so I can try out this method.

    Hugs,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Precious!!! LOVE IT!!!!!!!!! Thank you so very much! HUGS!
    Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks sweet Rosemary,-such a lovely tutorial, and the end result, looks gorgeus.
    Hugs,Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  19. So georgeous.......how beautiful.....
    love it love it...
    Fine weekend my dear

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awwww! Rosemary,
    You are way to kind, and want to thank you for your beautiful visit to my place.
    You know you are a great source of inspiration, and your beauty shows through it.

    See you soon, keep inspiring us.
    xx
    Blessings
    Dore

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Rosemary,

    A Winter Wonderland inspiration for others while
    under the weather yourself !
    Truly an inspiration to all !
    Please take care and rest.
    xoxo Mia

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love these! Thank you for sharing the how to. I have bookmarked these to visit later, a must add to my studio, thanks for such a charming idea!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a DARLING year round idea!! I call these fairy lights too. They would look lovely in the Summer as well!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This garland is just so lovely! Thank you for sharing! I am now following you on GFC. Come visit when you have time! God bless and Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sweet, Rosemary! Love the softness of these lights. I'm definitely trying some this year! Hugs!

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  26. The lights are very pretty and it's so nice that you shared how to make them. Your blog is beautiful so I will come back for a visit again and also check out your esty for special goodies. Blessing to you.

    ReplyDelete

be kind ~ be graceful ~ be beautiful ~ be you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails